Not being able to know who has made what change can lead to chaos and duplication of work. Thankfully, with google docs, all this becomes a thing of the past.
How to google.docs works
Google docs as part of the internet company, Google’s suite of services for businesses called G-Suite. This is available in some easy monthly subscription plans that start from as little as $5 per user. To access G-suite, you first need to set up your company’s web domain on Google. This means that Gmail will now route your emails. In this case, you can set yourself and everyone on your team up with an email address that has the following format: [email protected]
Once you have set up your domain on G-suite, you can navigate to your Google drive. Think of this as the shared, online filing cabinet for your organization. Each in your company will see their own Google drive; this will include files they create, share files that are visible to everyone in the company, and files that have been shared by others external to the organization.
Types of files available
Within Google drive you can save all kinds of data, this includes pdf documents, jpeg images, or other commonly used file formats. You are only able to create and edit google docs files within the system. There are three kinds of documents that you can create, edit and share, they are:
• Google docs: this is the word processor in google suites, it functions like Microsoft Word and allows you to create written documents, such as memos and reports.
• Google sheets: this is the spreadsheet application within Google suites, it functions like Microsoft Excel and allows you to create and manipulate large datasets, you can create tables and charts and apply formulas.
• Google slides: this is for creating slides and presentations, it is similar to Microsoft PowerPoint.
The key advantage of the google docs applications over their Microsoft counterparts is that they have superior version control and enable editing in a live environment. They are designed to maximize collaboration across workstations and geographies.
G-suite also comes with other tools such as Google hangouts a video conferencing service, and synchronized calendars. Because all these tools are accessible from the same drive as google docs, you can set up conference calls, follow up times all from within the document you are working.
Individuals can create a local. If you download Google drive app, you can log into your account from all of your devices and access your files. The Google Drive app is available for iOS and Android.
When you create a document in Google drive, and it is by default private to you. You can very share it with other people in your company, entire departments or the whole team by adding them. Adding someone to your document is as easy as typing their email address and sharing the document with them. You can control the level of access that someone has to your report: they can comment, view or edit. If you need to change the ownership of your file or folder, you can do that and reassign the role to someone within your company.
For company administrators, you can delete users and control global file access for all the files created on your domain. This means that if someone resigns or you can immediately turn off their access to your company documents, this will delete all data on your drive even if the person had saved the folder on their computer. You can reassign any files they own to yourself or another user in your company.
Easy To Share And Collaborate
With Google Docs, it is easy to share and collaborate on files. Here are some features that enable this:
• You can tag a user in the comments of a document, say you have a question about a section of the document. The user you tag can see your comment, action the change and mark the comment as closed once.
• Live to edit: multiple users can view the same google doc live in the web browser and in real time all other users can see who is also in the document and making changes at the same time.
• Version control and tracked changes: the system tells you who the last person to edit the document was and when they made changes.
They can then comment, view or edit the document depending on the access you grant them. The second is best if the person does not have a Gmail account, you need to share a link to the document with them and ensure that you have enabled the public settings on the document.
For smart collaboration, clear version control and tracked changes all in a live environment, google docs is unrivaled. You and users in your company can create documents such as memos, letters and presentation files online. You can make live edits that are immediately visible to all users.
Duplication because changes made simultaneous and visible to everyone on the document. You are also able to view prior versions of the document, optimizing control.